Basic Decorating Guide:
Decorating DOs and DON'Ts
* Decide on a budget at the beginning of you project. If your funds are limited, decorate your rooms one at a time.
* Buy items that will have the most pronounced effect on the room first - like carpet, furniture and wallpaper. Accessories can be added later.
* Keep a scrapbook of decorating ideas, wallpaper samples, colors schemes, etc.
* Be sure to create a personalized room, not an imitation of someone else's. Your personality should shine through, as well as your lifestyle.
* Buy wallpaper, fabric and floor coverings for their practical as well as decorative effect. Keep in mind kids, pets, lifestyle.
* Make a ceiling the fifth wall of the room. Remember walls can be one color or pattern, ceilings another.
* To effectively mix textures in a room, make sure there is a common denominator, like a common color.
* Fall for fads in style and design. You'll tire of them quickly.
* Buy products because they are a bargain. Always make your furnishings an investment in the value of your home.
* Fill every inch of space. Leave some breathing room for favorite items to stand out.
* Use too many similar textures in a room. They can cancel each other out.
* Be afraid to experiment with different colors, textures and kinds of wallpapers.